It is important to have an international driving license for abroad travels. The international driving license will be helpful and allow the citizen to drive the car or bike on the foreign land, also rent a car / bike. In India, the driving license is issued by the State RTO offices, the IDL can also be obtained from the RTO, it is nothing but a translated copy of the original Driving license issued by respective RTO authorities.
In India, the International Driving License is issued on all State RTO offices, any citizen travelling to foreign countries may need driving licesne for driving the vehicles on forign land. In this article, we will look into the application procedure to get the International Driving Licese in India.
What is an International Driving License?
International Driving License is an official legal document issued by RTO authority to drive the vehicle outside India. This license is applicable for both two-wheelers and four-wheelers. To apply the International Driving License is simple with existing driving license.
The international driving license issued by the Indian authority is nothing but an official driving document that allows to access the respective countries in their respective languages. Using this Indian International Driving License, the individual is eligible to drive in 120+ countries.
Importance of having an International Driving License
On having the international license, one can drive on foreign land and this license document legally allows on foreign soil. It helps the individual to explore new places by renting the vehicle with this IDL.
The legal authorities and road transport officers on the foreign land accept the international driving license issued by authorities in India as proof of document to drive in their respective roads.
How to apply for an International Driving license?
For the existing Indian Driving License holder, it will be a simple procedure and the process may take less than a week to get the international driving license.
The below-mentioned steps need to be followed to get the license.
Step 1: Fill the form “form for the issue of International Driving Permit” either online or offline form from the nearest RTO offices.
Step 2: Provide details of residential address, existing driving license number and countries planned to travel.
Step 3: Need to submit all the necessary documents along with the form
Step 4: On processing the form, the candidate need to undergo driving test.
Step 5: Fee for the IDL to be submitted.
Step 6: Once the process is completed, the candidate will receive the International Driving License.
Criteria to get International Driving License in India
The candidate should be above 18 years of age.
The candidate should have a valid driving license.
The candidate should be an Indian Citizen.
Download Application form for International Driving license
How to Apply International Driving license Online?
The International driving license can be applied offline or online. If you are interested to apply online, then follow the process mentioned below.
Visit the International Control Traffic Association website (www.e-itca.org) to download the online application form. Fill the online form and submit the form with the required documents that need to be uploaded (List of Documents – provided in the documents section), pay the application fee online to process the IDL.
Application Fee of International Driving License in India
The processing fee for an international driving permit is will range between Rs. 500 to Rs 1000 per licence. The applicant will have to make the payment at the time of submitting the documents and application form.
Documents required for International Driving License
- Passport Photocopy and VISA copy
- Flight tickets of respective traveling destination
- Medical Certificate issued by Doctor (for physical fitness)
- Application form for IDL
- Age proof, address proof and PP size photographs.
- Certified proof of Indian Citizenship.
What is the renewal procedure for an International Driving License in India?
Generally, an International Driving License is valid for only one year. In case you’re traveling again and need to renew your IDL, here’s what you need to do:
The RTO office in India will issue the International Driving License with one year validity. In case, if you are travelling again to international destinations, you need to renew the existing IDL. Providing the renwal procedure for IDL.
- The applicant need to apply online through the International Control Traffic Association for IDL renewal.
- Passport size photograph of the applicant.
- Scanned photocopy of driving license issued by the government of India.
- Reproduce all the documents submitted earlier for IDL earlier.
- Take the driving test.
- Pay the required fee.
Benefits of having an International Driving License
International Driving License is just an add on feature to the existing driving license and applying process is also simpe. Having IDL has numerous advantages, which are listed below:
- International Driving license issued by Indian authorities certifies individual to drive vehicles in the foreign land.
- The Internatinal driving permit issued will come handly if the driving license issued is not in the language used in the country. IDL simplifies the process for the authorities to verify traveller information.
- The International driving license issued acts as proof of identity.
- No need to undergo driving test for the existing driving license holders and just need to ensure the driving standards followed for the respective countries you are travelling.
- The International Driving licesne issued by the Indian government is widely accepted in majority of the countries, close to 120+ countries accept the IDL issued by India.
- It is mandatory in certain countries to have a valid IDL to rent a car in the respective country.
- Insurance companies require an IDP to cover drivers of vehicles being driven abroad.
Countries accept International Driving Licence issued by India
The following countries accept an International Driving Permit issued by Indian Regional Trasnport Offices (RTO).
|Algeria||Cape Verde||Georgia||Kazakhstan||Mozambique||Sao Tome and Principe||Trinidad & Tobago|
|Angola||Central African Republic||Ghana||Kenya||Myanmar (Burma)||Saudi Arabia||Tunisia|
|Bahamas||Comoros||Guinea Bissau||Laos||Nicaragua||Sierra Leone||United Arab Emirates|
|Bahrain||Congo (Democratic Republic of)||Guinea Republic||Lebanon||Niger||Singapore||USA|
|Bangladesh||Congo (Republic of)||Guyana||Lesotho||Nigeria||South Africa||Yemen|
|Belarus||Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)||Haiti||Liberia||Oman||Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles)||Zambia|
|Belize||Czech Republic||Honduras||Libya||Pakistan||Sri Lanka||Zimbabwe|
|Benin||Djibouti||Hong Kong||Macao (Macau)||Panama||St. Lucia|
|Bhutan||Dominica||Hungary||Macedonia||Papua New Guinea||St. Vincent|
|Burkina Faso||Ethiopia||Italy||Mauritius||Russian Federation||Tanzania|