Road accidents are scary. Even more so if larger vehicles like buses or trucks are involved.
They not only result in damage to the vehicle but very often cause severe injuries and even loss of life.
So of course, no one wants to be involved in a truck accident – directly or indirectly. This is why we must take some cautionary steps to avoid these incidents. That’s why we must install dash camera to avoid collisions.
When do truck accidents occur?
Truck accidents, or accidents with other large vehicles on the road are not uncommon. But there are some reports on the when and where these occur more frequently.
The no-brainer reason is that these accidents occur most often in crowded areas where there are a lot of people on the roads.
Speeding in these areas can be very dangerous for other vehicles on the road as well as pedestrians.
A lot depends on the drivers as well. An intoxicated driver behind the wheel is a danger both for the driver as well as the vehicle.
Many truck drivers are expected to take long hauls. They may need to drive for 10-15 hours straight.
Lack of sleep may cause the driver to doze off for a few seconds while driving. This can cause truck accidents. This happens more during the night than the day.
Another common cause for accidents is texting or talking on the phone while driving. This inattention while on the road can result in major losses.
How you can prevent truck accidents
If you own a fleet of trucks, you will want to minimize accidents involving your vehicles because each accident comes with monetary loss, court cases and worst of all – loss of life.
Since a large number of accidents occur due to factors directly affecting the driver, you can choose to set up DashCams for driver monitoring.
A DashCam is a camera which is usually fitted onto the dashboard of the vehicle and gives you the ability of video monitoring.
How will a DashCam help prevent accidents?
Through the Dashcam, you will get a live feed of what is going on inside the vehicle and how your employee – the driver – is driving and behaving inside the car.
Keeping track of the behavior of the driver for some time can give you insights into how he or she may be behaving and if you notice any points of concern (like perhaps frequent yawning or texting while driving), you can take corrective measures.
Not only do DashCams have the feature of live video monitoring, they can also collect data about the specifics of a vehicle like speed or acceleration.
This data is continuously updated to a cloud storage space that you will have access to.
You can use this data to pinpoint things like speeding and aggressive acceleration.
Some DashCams can also automatically give warnings when they detect speeding or rapid acceleration.
This notifies the driver of what he or she is doing wrong and can be corrected easily.
How to avoid accidents as a truck driver?
Here are a couple of things you can do to minimize accidents if you are a truck driver –
- Drive slow and with the utmost attention when you are in a crowded area.
- Make sure to maintain distance when you brake behind another vehicle.
- Drive in a single lane. Don’t change lanes frequently.
- While driving at night, make sure all the truck’s headlights and backlights are on. You can also use reflector tape along the side of the vehicle.
- Get plenty of sleep. Make sure you plan so that you have enough time to rest between trips.
- You can install a DashCam for video monitoring and to warn you when you might be crossing speed limits.
How to avoid an accident with a truck in a car?
If you are driving a car, the scariest thing can be a collision with a truck. Here’s how you can avoid it
- Give space to a truck while it is turning. Don’t wedge your car between the truck and the side of the road.
- Be predictable while driving past a truck. Sudden turns or swerves may catch the truck driver off-guard.
- Over-take a truck only when there is plenty of space to do so. A vehicle as large as a truck may not be able to stop as fast as a car.
- Avoid driving in the blind spot of a truck. The trick to finding the blind spots is to look in the truck’s side-view mirrors. If you can’t see the driver of the truck in the mirror, the driver can’t see you either.
Truck accidents are scary for everyone involved – the truck driver, the driver of the other vehicle (if there is one involved) and the owner of the truck.
Luckily, there are some easy steps you can take to prevent these accidents.
Apart from some road safety measures, you can install DashCams in your trucks for live video monitoring and data analysis.